Sunday 2 November 2014

Sacred by: Elana K. Arnold

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Paranormal, Contemporary
Published: November 13, 2012 by Delacorte Press

Synopsis: Before Scarlett's brother died, her life was perfect. Living on a beautiful island off the Californian coast seemed like the best thing ever. Now, Scarlett is left in a bottomless pit of grief, and wants nothing more then to get off this island she once called home. Then enters Will, and boy who just moved to the island. Will and Scarlett are immediately drawn to each other, and Will helps to lift Scarlett out of her sadness. However, a secret about Will threatens to tear them apart, and Scarlett wonders if she'll ever be happy again.

I had mixed feelings about this book. First to the positives. The book was interesting for the most part. I liked the characters, each one having unique characteristics, and they all balanced each other out. The book contained plot twists, which I always enjoy, and it did not end in a cliffhanger. (Which always seem to annoy me.) I loved Elana K. Arnold's book Burning, so I was excited to read this book as well. The ending did the plot justice. However, this book was a bit of a let down for me.

I didn't like that this book was so descriptive. I feel like the author took a good page, just explaining what Scarlett was eating for breakfast. This may be helpful for some readers, so that they can set the scene in their head better, but for me it was a bit annoying. For example, Scarlett loved to horseback ride. Whenever she was at the stable, the author would go into complete detail on how she would take care of the horses. Since I do not ride horses, I found these parts to be boring and irrelevant to the whole point of the story. However, like I said before, this could be seen as a positive to help picture the scene better.

While this book was good, I do like Elana Arnold's other book Burning better. This book, while wasn't boring, was too descriptive for me. The parts when she did not go into complete detail, were brilliant in the writing. You could tell that she put a lot of thought into what the characters were saying. I also learned a lot about how to let go of bad situations from this book. Overall, I would rate it 3 out of 5 stars.


Bye For Now!
Paperback Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment