Wednesday 1 July 2015

Paperback's Pondering's: Being "Over Protective" Of Books


Paperback's Pondering's is a weekly discussion when I take a topic and well, ponder about it! This week's topic is all about being protective over a book's popularity.

I have an issue: I don't like to share. By this, I mean that I don't like it when one of my favourite books becomes really famous, usually through a movie, and more people start to like it. Now this sounds like the most selfish thing in the world, but let me explain.

I just have trouble excepting change. When I really become obsessed with a book, it kind of feels like something special that is just shared between me and other readers of the book. When things become more publicized, then more people who may not enjoy books that much start liking it. I feel as if the thing that was once so special to me, has been taken over by the world.

In reality, this should be a happy occasion. The author is getting more opportunities that they may have never had before, and I love watching book-to-movie adaptions. Not only that, but people who may have not appreciated books that much before, are now more open and involved in this world.

I think I'm scared of people not appreciating a book for what it is. Obviously movies can twist books and make them different, and I worry that people won't have the true message of a book get across to them. I think I just need to learn to let go.

So even though I'm not that opening into letting other people into my book loving world, it is a very good thing, and I need to accept that. If someone reads a book that I like, and enjoys it, it gives me one more person to fangirl with. Book publicity, is not that bad after all.

Is this just a problem that I have, or do other people get a little over protective of books? Let me know your thoughts!

Emily @ Paperback Princess

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this so totally me! One moment, I want to share the joy of a gorgeous book I read with the world, and the next, it's like, OH, NO YOU DON'T. I really hate it when a movie of a book is released and everyone's like "Oh, that was such an awesome movie! I'm going to read the book!". For some reason, it really irritates me and I want to throw something at their face and say, I read the book BEFORE it became a movie, yo. And then I feel incredibly selfish for not wanting EVERYONE to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this problem every time a new movie adaption to a book comes out. It's kind of bittersweet, because I domreally want to see the movie, but on the same end I don't want the book to be more noticed :(

      Delete
  2. I'm completely with you on this! Sometimes a ton of hype can start to irk me, for no specific reason at all. I'll love a book and want to share the book, but when the book becomes huge, something like Divergent or The Hunger Games where all teens are expected to have read it, it doesn't seem as personally connected to me and close readers as before. Now to me at least, this is illegitimate- like, I should be more open to others recognizing and enjoying this book. I can relate to what you mean, though.

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! It is a great thing to open up a book to a wider audience. I need to learn to let go.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you! When I fall in love with a specific book (or series), then I feel a personal connection to it. When the book becomes more popular and a lot of people like it too, then the connection I have with the book seems weaker and more superficial. It's such a problem for me, because I love the feeling of having a unique, strong bond with a book, and when too many other people have that bond too, then I feel like mine isn't meaningful anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed opinions about it.By default, I don't want my favorite books to be turned into a movie because I'm always worried Hollywood's gonna murder it. Heck, sometimes I don't want people I personally know to read my favorite books. It's like, I don't want to share them. BUT I also get excited that the books I love are also going to be enjoyed by others. More people to fangirl with, right? ^__^

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a positive of the situation too! I love that I have more people to talk about the book with!

      Delete