Wednesday 4 April 2018

The Odyssey by: Homer

Genre: Greek Epic Poem
Published: November 30, 2006 by: Penguin Classics
Pages: 541
Rating: 4/5 stars



Years after the Trojan War, the Greek hero Odysseus is making is journey back to the island of Ithaca, where he is king. Along the way, the spiteful god Poseidon will make his quest difficult, and Odysseus will gave to battle the ferocious Cyclops and rough seas to Ithaca. Meanwhile, his wife Penelope longs for his safe return, and it is only when they are reunited that all will be at peace.

I was really excited to read The Odyssey. I actually got the book way back in the summer but my mom wanted to give it to me as a Christmas present and so I waited until December to read it. While it didn't give me quite as much as the thrills from The Illiad, this poem is a classic that all lovers of mythology will love.

I always found the character of Odysseus fascinating in The Illiad, and so I loved a more in-depth look at him, as there definitely was more story to tell. I also loved the allusions to the deceased characters of The Illiad, such as Achilles' ghost. Achilles is my all time favourite Greek hero so I loved that he still made an appearance in The Odyssey. I also loved that more women got stories in The Odyssey, such as Penelope. I loved reading about her.

I don't think this "wowed" me as much as The Illiad did. The battles were just a little toned-down, and I didn't feel as emotionally invested in it as I was in The Illiad. While I obviously prefer The Illiad to the two, I do think this is a must-read for people who love Greek classics.

Have you read The Odyssey? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

6 comments:

  1. Is this the one where [SPOILER WARNING TO ANYONE READING THE COMMENTS] loads of people get turned into pigs and stuff by some sorceress? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! As a matter of fact, I believe that Madeline Miller’s new book is about Circe, the enchantress who did that!

      Delete
  2. I need your skills!!! I tried to read The Iliad ages ago and failed miserably because I just couldn't wrap my mind around the older style of writing. I've been hearing that other people have been able to make it through unscathed so I'm thinking of giving it another go during summer break. And hopefully, I'll be able to get a go at The Odyssey too! Lovely review, Emily!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, trust me, I am not like this with all classic novels. I think the reason I was able to so easily understand it is because I have a lot of prior knowledge on the Trojan War and am pretty much obsessed with anything Greek mythology. I hope you'll give it a try again!

      Delete
  3. A teacher impressed (by my reading skills, no doubt ahaha) tried to get me into Greek classics by lending me The Illiad and The Odyssey waaaay back in 7th grade and maybe I wasn't old enough for them because I was bored to death oops. Long story short, I've felt really put off about Greek classics ever since xD I'm glad you love them, though! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I’m not sure Grade 7 is the target age for Greek classics but it’s great that your teacher was so impressed with you!

      Delete